Orecchiette alla Carrettiera (“Wagon-Driver Style”)
From EatingWell: October 1997
Orecchiette is a traditional ear-shaped pasta. This raw sauce is perfect for hot summer nights.
- 6-8 ounces orecchiette, or spaghetti
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 very ripe plum tomatoes, (12 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook orecchiette (or spaghetti) in boiling salted water until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Rub the pasta-serving bowl with one half of a garlic clove.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and remaining garlic on a cutting board. Transfer to the serving bowl. Add salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Toss well.
- Drain pasta and add to tomatoes. Toss well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 427 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 72 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 13 g fiber; 597 mg sodium; 624 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (89% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Magnesium (36% dv), Vitamin C(34% dv), Iron (21% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv),
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October 1997