Orecchiette alla Carrettiera (“Wagon-Driver Style”)
From EatingWell: October 1997
Orecchiette is a traditional ear-shaped pasta. This raw sauce is perfect for hot summer nights.
- 6-8 ounces orecchiette, or spaghetti
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 very ripe plum tomatoes, (12 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook orecchiette (or spaghetti) in boiling salted water until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Rub the pasta-serving bowl with one half of a garlic clove.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and remaining garlic on a cutting board. Transfer to the serving bowl. Add salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Toss well.
- Drain pasta and add to tomatoes. Toss well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 427 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 72 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 13 g fiber; 597 mg sodium; 624 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (89% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Magnesium (36% dv), Vitamin C(34% dv), Iron (21% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv),
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October 1997