Orange, Watercress & Tuna Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
This vibrant salad recipe contrasts flavor, texture and color—the velvety tuna steak is matched with crisp, peppery watercress and the floral tart-sweetness of blood oranges and aniseed. Blood oranges make the dish especially pretty—they’re available December through March. If you can’t find them, use any oranges that look good.
- 3 medium oranges
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced crystallized ginger or fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed, chopped or crushed, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1-1 1/4 pounds tuna steaks (about 1 inch thick), cut into 4 portions (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup loosely packed tiny watercress sprigs or leaves (3/4-1 inch long)
- Peel oranges with a sharp knife, removing all peel and white pith. Working over a medium bowl, cut the segments from the surrounding membranes and let them drop into the bowl. Squeeze the peels and membranes over the bowl to extract all the juice before discarding them. Gently stir in oil, vinegar, ginger, coriander, 1/4 teaspoon aniseed, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne. Set aside.
- Position oven rack 5 to 6 inches from the broiler; preheat to high. Cover a broiler pan with foil.
- Season tuna with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each aniseed, salt and pepper. Place on the prepared pan. Broil for about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare, 4 minutes per side for medium or to desired doneness.
- Stir watercress into the orange mixture. Slice the tuna, divide among 4 plates and top with equal portions of the salad. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: While the issues around tuna are complex, a good rule of thumb is that most U.S.-caught tuna, including Hawaiian, is considered a good or best choice for the environment because it is more sustainably fished. Look for tuna that was caught with a pole, called “troll,” “pole” or “hook & line” caught. If the method of catch is not on the label, ask your fishmonger how it was caught and tell him you want to know in the future. Avoid all bluefin and any species of imported longline tuna. For more information, visit seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 208 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 195 mg sodium; 712 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (94% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)