Orange-Sesame Shrimp Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy Asian-inspired shrimp salad recipe, two types of greens—romaine lettuce and red cabbage—pair beautifully with the avocado and shrimp. Use extra dressing for another salad or as a sauce for baked fish.
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups finely sliced (or diced) red cabbage
- 3 ounces peeled cooked shrimp
- 1/2 ripe avocado, diced
- To prepare dressing: Combine orange juice, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and oil in a small bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid. Whisk or shake until the sugar has dissolved. (Makes about 2/3 cup dressing.)
- To prepare salad: Toss lettuce and cabbage in a large bowl with 3 tablespoons of the dressing. Transfer to a plate and top with shrimp and avocado. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 5 days.)
Per serving: 283 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 137 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 13 g total sugars; 22 g protein; 9 g fiber; 434 mg sodium; 1043 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (172% daily value), Vitamin C (95% dv), Folate (64% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Vitamin B12 (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014