Orange-Sesame Shrimp Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy Asian-inspired shrimp salad recipe, two types of greens—romaine lettuce and red cabbage—pair beautifully with the avocado and shrimp. Use extra dressing for another salad or as a sauce for baked fish.
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups finely sliced (or diced) red cabbage
- 3 ounces peeled cooked shrimp
- 1/2 ripe avocado, diced
- To prepare dressing: Combine orange juice, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and oil in a small bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid. Whisk or shake until the sugar has dissolved. (Makes about 2/3 cup dressing.)
- To prepare salad: Toss lettuce and cabbage in a large bowl with 3 tablespoons of the dressing. Transfer to a plate and top with shrimp and avocado. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 5 days.)
Per serving: 283 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 137 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 13 g total sugars; 22 g protein; 9 g fiber; 434 mg sodium; 1043 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (172% daily value), Vitamin C (95% dv), Folate (64% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Vitamin B12 (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- January/February 2014