Orange & Sesame Seed Sauce
We love to dress up steamed asparagus or broccoli with this sauce. When tangerines are in season, squeeze them fresh for an especially interesting variation.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, (1 medium)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice, (from 2-3 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or rice-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir until lightly toasted, about 20 seconds. Add shallots and stir until softened, about 1 minute. Add zest and juice, vinegar and soy sauce. Simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes. Stir in chives (or scallion greens).
Per tablespoon: 28 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 34 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation