Orange & Sesame Seed Sauce
We love to dress up steamed asparagus or broccoli with this sauce. When tangerines are in season, squeeze them fresh for an especially interesting variation.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, (1 medium)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice, (from 2-3 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or rice-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir until lightly toasted, about 20 seconds. Add shallots and stir until softened, about 1 minute. Add zest and juice, vinegar and soy sauce. Simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes. Stir in chives (or scallion greens).
Per tablespoon: 28 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 34 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory