Orange-Scented Green Beans with Toasted Almonds
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Toasted nuts and fresh orange zest adorn these versatile green beans. Toast the nuts while you steam the beans and you have a polished addition to any meal ready in 15 minutes flat. Double it: Steam the green beans in a Dutch oven instead of a saucepan.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put green beans in the basket and steam until tender, about 6 minutes. Toss the green beans in a large bowl with oil, orange zest, salt, pepper and almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sliced almonds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 84 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2007