Orange-Scented Custard Sauce
Steeping orange zest in the milk boosts the flavor of this virtually fat-free sauce, based on a classic crème anglaise.
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 2-by-1-inch strip orange zest, preferably organic
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, (optional)
- Combine milk and orange zest in a small heavy saucepan. Bring almost to a simmer over low heat. Remove pan from heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg, sugar and flour in a bowl until smooth.
- Rewarm milk over low heat until steaming. Gradually add milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook sauce over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. (Do not allow sauce to come to a simmer.) Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Discard orange zest. Stir in Grand Marnier, if using. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the sauce and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per tablespoon: 19 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 3 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more