Orange-Scented Custard Sauce
Steeping orange zest in the milk boosts the flavor of this virtually fat-free sauce, based on a classic crème anglaise.
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 2-by-1-inch strip orange zest, preferably organic
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, (optional)
- Combine milk and orange zest in a small heavy saucepan. Bring almost to a simmer over low heat. Remove pan from heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg, sugar and flour in a bowl until smooth.
- Rewarm milk over low heat until steaming. Gradually add milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook sauce over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. (Do not allow sauce to come to a simmer.) Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Discard orange zest. Stir in Grand Marnier, if using. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the sauce and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per tablespoon: 19 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 3 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation