Orange-Scented Custard Sauce
Steeping orange zest in the milk boosts the flavor of this virtually fat-free sauce, based on a classic crème anglaise.
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 2-by-1-inch strip orange zest, preferably organic
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, (optional)
- Combine milk and orange zest in a small heavy saucepan. Bring almost to a simmer over low heat. Remove pan from heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg, sugar and flour in a bowl until smooth.
- Rewarm milk over low heat until steaming. Gradually add milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook sauce over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. (Do not allow sauce to come to a simmer.) Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Discard orange zest. Stir in Grand Marnier, if using. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the sauce and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per tablespoon: 19 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 3 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet