Orange-Scented Custard Sauce
Steeping orange zest in the milk boosts the flavor of this virtually fat-free sauce, based on a classic crème anglaise.
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 2-by-1-inch strip orange zest, preferably organic
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, (optional)
- Combine milk and orange zest in a small heavy saucepan. Bring almost to a simmer over low heat. Remove pan from heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg, sugar and flour in a bowl until smooth.
- Rewarm milk over low heat until steaming. Gradually add milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook sauce over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. (Do not allow sauce to come to a simmer.) Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Discard orange zest. Stir in Grand Marnier, if using. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the sauce and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per tablespoon: 19 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 3 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation