Orange-Scented Beef Stir-Fry
Orange marmalade is the secret ingredient in this quick stir-fry. For variations, substitute chicken, shrimp, pork or tofu for the beef; adjusting the cooking time accordingly.
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon oyster-flavored sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons chile-garlic sauce
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 12 ounces beef top sirloin, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large onion, slivered (1 1/2-2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 1 pound broccoli florets, (about 4 cups)
- Combine 1/4 cup broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, marmalade, oyster sauce, vinegar and chile-garlic sauce in a small bowl; mix well.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add half the beef; stir-fry until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Stir-fry the remaining beef in 1 teaspoon oil; transfer to the plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the wok. Add ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, 10 to 20 seconds. Add onion; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and broccoli; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Pour in the remaining 1/4 cup broth, cover and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Push the vegetables to the sides. Stir the sauce mixture and add it to the wok. Cook, stirring, until the sauce becomes thick and translucent. Stir the vegetables into the sauce and return the beef to the wok; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 266 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 5 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 513 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (273% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation