Orange-Scented Beef Stir-Fry
Orange marmalade is the secret ingredient in this quick stir-fry. For variations, substitute chicken, shrimp, pork or tofu for the beef; adjusting the cooking time accordingly.
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon oyster-flavored sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons chile-garlic sauce
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 12 ounces beef top sirloin, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large onion, slivered (1 1/2-2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 1 pound broccoli florets, (about 4 cups)
- Combine 1/4 cup broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, marmalade, oyster sauce, vinegar and chile-garlic sauce in a small bowl; mix well.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add half the beef; stir-fry until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Stir-fry the remaining beef in 1 teaspoon oil; transfer to the plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the wok. Add ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, 10 to 20 seconds. Add onion; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and broccoli; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Pour in the remaining 1/4 cup broth, cover and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Push the vegetables to the sides. Stir the sauce mixture and add it to the wok. Cook, stirring, until the sauce becomes thick and translucent. Stir the vegetables into the sauce and return the beef to the wok; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 266 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 5 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 513 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (273% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat