Orange-Scented Beef Stir-Fry
Orange marmalade is the secret ingredient in this quick stir-fry. For variations, substitute chicken, shrimp, pork or tofu for the beef; adjusting the cooking time accordingly.
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon oyster-flavored sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons chile-garlic sauce
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 12 ounces beef top sirloin, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large onion, slivered (1 1/2-2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 1 pound broccoli florets, (about 4 cups)
- Combine 1/4 cup broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, marmalade, oyster sauce, vinegar and chile-garlic sauce in a small bowl; mix well.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add half the beef; stir-fry until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Stir-fry the remaining beef in 1 teaspoon oil; transfer to the plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the wok. Add ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, 10 to 20 seconds. Add onion; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and broccoli; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Pour in the remaining 1/4 cup broth, cover and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Push the vegetables to the sides. Stir the sauce mixture and add it to the wok. Cook, stirring, until the sauce becomes thick and translucent. Stir the vegetables into the sauce and return the beef to the wok; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 266 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 5 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 513 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (273% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat