Golden, moist and tender with a cakelike texture, these orange-raisin scones are the perfect excuse for a coffee or tea break.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped raisins, or whole currants
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, plus extra for brushing scone tops
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Add raisins (or currants), tossing to coat. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until it turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Transfer the butter to a bowl. Add oil, 1 cup yogurt, egg and orange zest and whisk until blended. Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined (the dough will be sticky).
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet; with floured hands, pat it out into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. Cut the circle into 12 wedges, leaving them in place. Brush the top with yogurt. Bake until the top is golden and firm to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Per scone: 164 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 266 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation