Golden, moist and tender with a cakelike texture, these orange-raisin scones are the perfect excuse for a coffee or tea break.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped raisins, or whole currants
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, plus extra for brushing scone tops
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Add raisins (or currants), tossing to coat. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until it turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Transfer the butter to a bowl. Add oil, 1 cup yogurt, egg and orange zest and whisk until blended. Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined (the dough will be sticky).
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet; with floured hands, pat it out into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. Cut the circle into 12 wedges, leaving them in place. Brush the top with yogurt. Bake until the top is golden and firm to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Per scone: 164 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 266 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique