Golden, moist and tender with a cakelike texture, these orange-raisin scones are the perfect excuse for a coffee or tea break.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped raisins, or whole currants
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, plus extra for brushing scone tops
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Add raisins (or currants), tossing to coat. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until it turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Transfer the butter to a bowl. Add oil, 1 cup yogurt, egg and orange zest and whisk until blended. Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined (the dough will be sticky).
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet; with floured hands, pat it out into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. Cut the circle into 12 wedges, leaving them in place. Brush the top with yogurt. Bake until the top is golden and firm to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Per scone: 164 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 266 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique