Golden, moist and tender with a cakelike texture, these orange-raisin scones are the perfect excuse for a coffee or tea break.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped raisins, or whole currants
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, plus extra for brushing scone tops
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Add raisins (or currants), tossing to coat. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until it turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Transfer the butter to a bowl. Add oil, 1 cup yogurt, egg and orange zest and whisk until blended. Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined (the dough will be sticky).
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet; with floured hands, pat it out into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. Cut the circle into 12 wedges, leaving them in place. Brush the top with yogurt. Bake until the top is golden and firm to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Per scone: 164 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 266 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique