Golden, moist and tender with a cakelike texture, these orange-raisin scones are the perfect excuse for a coffee or tea break.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped raisins, or whole currants
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, plus extra for brushing scone tops
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Add raisins (or currants), tossing to coat. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until it turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Transfer the butter to a bowl. Add oil, 1 cup yogurt, egg and orange zest and whisk until blended. Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined (the dough will be sticky).
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet; with floured hands, pat it out into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. Cut the circle into 12 wedges, leaving them in place. Brush the top with yogurt. Bake until the top is golden and firm to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Per scone: 164 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 266 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique