I have just started on a no gluten diet due to wheat allergies. I have also stopped using dairy milk products. I used almond milk instead of the dairy milk. This is a homey breakfast. Warm and creamy, just the right amount of sweetness. I have also used white corn grits instead of the corn meal. You do need to cook the grits a little longer, but still very tasty. I have also used a banana and honey greek yogurt with the orange zest. Was still very tasty.
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
Italians enjoy cornmeal or polenta in countless preparations. Polentina is a creamier, porridge-like version, often served for breakfast. An orange-infused dollop of tangy mascarpone cheese and yogurt is a rich, delicious topping. But feel free to skip the mascarpone and double the yogurt to save calories. To keep it quick, we use instant polenta or regular fine cornmeal. If you have time, the recipe will work with stone-ground cornmeal. It will take longer to cook, 15 to 20 minutes, but will reward you with rich texture.
6 Reviews for Orange Polentina
I've made this with oranges, mandarins, tangerines, and grapefruit, all are good, also have made it with fat free cream cheese, and it is still very good.
The one addition, is I toast some chopped pecans, and flax seeds to sprinkle on top.
I made it with low fat cream cheese, and it still turned out very good. Have also used madarins and grapefruits, and always add pecans.
I really love this recipe! This is a new staple around here. It's such a nice warm, comforting yet sunny way to start the day. My kids (ages 5 & 2) love it too. They think the topping is just too much fun and enjoy dipping their orange segments in it.
We've made the sauce with plain yogurt and plain cream cheese bunches of times and it works out well. It's a little more tart (surprisingly) than the sauce when made as the recipe calls for.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (84 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)