Orange Cranberry Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
Orange juice and fresh orange segments brighten the flavors in this traditional cranberry sauce recipe. Spread the leftovers on a turkey sandwich or stir into plain yogurt for breakfast.
- 4 medium navel oranges, divided
- Water, as needed
- 2 12-ounce bags fresh cranberries (6 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- Use a sharp knife to slice the ends off 3 oranges and remove the peels and white pith; discard. Working over a bowl, cut the orange segments from their surrounding membranes. Squeeze the juice into the bowl before discarding the membranes. Leaving the segments in the bowl, pour the juice from the oranges into a measuring cup. Juice the remaining orange and add the juice to the measuring cup. If necessary, add water to make 2/3 cup liquid total.
- Combine the juice, cranberries, brown sugar, cloves and salt in a large nonreactive saucepan (see Tip). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the reserved orange segments. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Tip: Be sure to use a nonreactive pan baking dish or bowl—stainless-steel, enamel-coated or glass—when cooking with acidic food (citrus, cranberries, tomatoes) to prevent the food from reacting with the pan. Reactive pans, such as aluminum and cast-iron, can impart off colors and/or flavors.
Per cup: 89 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 15 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 101 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (38% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013