Try this orange-flavored caramel sauce as a graceful finish to poached pears, profiteroles or frozen yogurt.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/2 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange-juice concentrate
- Combine sugar and salt with water in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook, without stirring, until it turns a deep amber color, 8 to 10 minutes. Do not burn. Remove from the heat and carefully swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon water to stop the cooking; be careful, it will spatter.
- Cool 2 minutes, then gradually stir in evaporated milk. Return pan to very low heat and stir to dissolve the caramel; the mixture must not boil. Remove from the heat and stir in orange-juice concentrate.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 56 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 27 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation