From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This orange-blackberry sorbet recipe is a beautiful purple treat perfect for any hot day. While it may seem tedious, be sure to strain the blackberries and use a low pulp or pulp-free orange juice to make the smoothest sorbet.
- 6 cups blackberries (about 1 3/4 pounds), fresh or frozen (see Tips)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Puree blackberries in a food processor until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl and press on the solids to extract all the juice.
- Combine orange juice, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the syrup into the fruit puree. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until cold, about 4 hours.
- Pour the sorbet mixture into an ice cream maker. (No ice cream maker? See Tips.) Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Let soften slightly before serving.
- Tips: If using frozen fruit, measure it frozen and then thaw before pureeing.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the sorbet mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Per 1/2 cup: 96 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 11 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 196 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (39% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)