From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This orange-blackberry sorbet recipe is a beautiful purple treat perfect for any hot day. While it may seem tedious, be sure to strain the blackberries and use a low pulp or pulp-free orange juice to make the smoothest sorbet.
- 6 cups blackberries (about 1 3/4 pounds), fresh or frozen (see Tips)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Puree blackberries in a food processor until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl and press on the solids to extract all the juice.
- Combine orange juice, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the syrup into the fruit puree. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until cold, about 4 hours.
- Pour the sorbet mixture into an ice cream maker. (No ice cream maker? See Tips.) Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Let soften slightly before serving.
- Tips: If using frozen fruit, measure it frozen and then thaw before pureeing.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the sorbet mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Per 1/2 cup: 96 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 11 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 196 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (39% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 2013