Orange & Avocado Salad
This colorful salad would be a welcome addition to a Mexican-inspired meal.
- 1 cup packed cilantro
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of minced garlic
- 2 large oranges
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 1/2 cup Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
- To prepare vinaigrette: Puree cilantro, oil, lime juice, orange juice, salt, pepper and garlic in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- To prepare salad: Slice both ends off oranges. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a salad bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membrane; discard the membrane. Add greens, avocado, onion and vinaigrette; toss to coat. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 2 days.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The recipe makes 1 1/4 cups dressing (Step 1); cover and refrigerate extra dressing for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 228 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 14 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 7 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 701 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (89% daily value), Vitamin A (66% dv), Folate (47% dv), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation