From EatingWell: May/June 1998
Crunchy, golden onion rings that aren't deep-fried—how can that be? We moisten the onions with tangy buttermilk and then dredge them in seasoned breadcrumbs and then here's the trick: we spray them lightly with olive oil before baking them to crispy perfection.
- 2 Vidalia onions
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Cut onions into 1/2-inch rounds and separate into rings. Place in a bowl and toss with buttermilk. Combine breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in another bowl. Dredge onion rings in breadcrumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly mist with olive oil cooking spray. Bake until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Easy cleanup: Recipes that require cooking spray can leave behind a sticky residue that can be hard to clean. To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you apply the cooking spray.
Per serving: 133 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 237 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1998