From EatingWell: May/June 1998
Crunchy, golden onion rings that aren't deep-fried—how can that be? We moisten the onions with tangy buttermilk and then dredge them in seasoned breadcrumbs and then here's the trick: we spray them lightly with olive oil before baking them to crispy perfection.
- 2 Vidalia onions
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Cut onions into 1/2-inch rounds and separate into rings. Place in a bowl and toss with buttermilk. Combine breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in another bowl. Dredge onion rings in breadcrumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly mist with olive oil cooking spray. Bake until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Easy cleanup: Recipes that require cooking spray can leave behind a sticky residue that can be hard to clean. To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you apply the cooking spray.
Per serving: 133 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 237 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- May/June 1998