From EatingWell: May/June 1998
Crunchy, golden onion rings that aren't deep-fried—how can that be? We moisten the onions with tangy buttermilk and then dredge them in seasoned breadcrumbs and then here's the trick: we spray them lightly with olive oil before baking them to crispy perfection.
- 2 Vidalia onions
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Cut onions into 1/2-inch rounds and separate into rings. Place in a bowl and toss with buttermilk. Combine breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in another bowl. Dredge onion rings in breadcrumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly mist with olive oil cooking spray. Bake until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Easy cleanup: Recipes that require cooking spray can leave behind a sticky residue that can be hard to clean. To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you apply the cooking spray.
Per serving: 133 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 237 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Super Bowl
- May/June 1998