From EatingWell: May/June 1998
Crunchy, golden onion rings that aren't deep-fried—how can that be? We moisten the onions with tangy buttermilk and then dredge them in seasoned breadcrumbs and then here's the trick: we spray them lightly with olive oil before baking them to crispy perfection.
- 2 Vidalia onions
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Cut onions into 1/2-inch rounds and separate into rings. Place in a bowl and toss with buttermilk. Combine breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in another bowl. Dredge onion rings in breadcrumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly mist with olive oil cooking spray. Bake until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Easy cleanup: Recipes that require cooking spray can leave behind a sticky residue that can be hard to clean. To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you apply the cooking spray.
Per serving: 133 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 237 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1998