Caramelized Onion Flatbreads
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Fresh from the skillet, these flatbreads are perfumed with intense sweet caramelized onions. They’re wonderful dipped into a little soup or to serve alongside a saucy curry. They’re quite simple to make—to speed up the process use two skillets or a griddle so you can cook twice as many at once.
- 3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour (see Note)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup Caramelized Onions (see How To)
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, for garnish (optional)
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in water and 2 tablespoons oil and whisk just until smooth. Stir in caramelized onions.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly brush the pan with some of the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Using about 1/4 cup batter for each, pour the batter for 2 flatbreads into the pan and spread each into an approximately 5-inch circle using the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with a pinch of flaky salt (if using) and cook until the bread looks bubbly and mostly dry, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden on the second side, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the skillet and wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium, brush the pan with more oil and cook 2 more flatbreads, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent overbrowning. Repeat in 3 more batches with the remaining oil and batter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap in foil and keep at room temperature for up to 1 day. Reheat in a skillet or in the oven.
- Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
- How To Caramelize Onions: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Add 2 cups sliced onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add 2 tablespoons water and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and very soft, about 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Makes about 1/3 cup.
Per flatbread: 137 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 56 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2011
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)