Onion Confit Crostini
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Sweet caramelized onion and dried currants are perfectly balanced by salty capers and black-olive paste in these party-perfect crostini.
- 1 pound sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 4 teaspoons balsamic or red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained capers
- 1/3 cup black-olive paste, (olivada) or finely chopped pitted black olives
- 36 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place onions in a lightly oiled, shallow 2-quart baking dish. Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until tender and just starting to brown, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in currants, vinegar and capers.
- Before serving, spread 1/2 teaspoon olive paste or chopped olives over one side of each toasted piece of baguette. Top with 2 teaspoons of the onion confit.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the onion confit (Steps 1-2) for up to 4 days.
Per appetizer: 40 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 66 mg sodium; 20 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1991