Onion Confit Crostini
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Sweet caramelized onion and dried currants are perfectly balanced by salty capers and black-olive paste in these party-perfect crostini.
- 1 pound sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 4 teaspoons balsamic or red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained capers
- 1/3 cup black-olive paste, (olivada) or finely chopped pitted black olives
- 36 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place onions in a lightly oiled, shallow 2-quart baking dish. Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until tender and just starting to brown, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in currants, vinegar and capers.
- Before serving, spread 1/2 teaspoon olive paste or chopped olives over one side of each toasted piece of baguette. Top with 2 teaspoons of the onion confit.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the onion confit (Steps 1-2) for up to 4 days.
Per appetizer: 40 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 66 mg sodium; 20 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1991