Onion Confit Crostini
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Sweet caramelized onion and dried currants are perfectly balanced by salty capers and black-olive paste in these party-perfect crostini.
- 1 pound sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 4 teaspoons balsamic or red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained capers
- 1/3 cup black-olive paste, (olivada) or finely chopped pitted black olives
- 36 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place onions in a lightly oiled, shallow 2-quart baking dish. Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until tender and just starting to brown, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in currants, vinegar and capers.
- Before serving, spread 1/2 teaspoon olive paste or chopped olives over one side of each toasted piece of baguette. Top with 2 teaspoons of the onion confit.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the onion confit (Steps 1-2) for up to 4 days.
Per appetizer: 40 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 66 mg sodium; 20 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1991