Onion Confit Crostini
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Sweet caramelized onion and dried currants are perfectly balanced by salty capers and black-olive paste in these party-perfect crostini.
- 1 pound sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 4 teaspoons balsamic or red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained capers
- 1/3 cup black-olive paste, (olivada) or finely chopped pitted black olives
- 36 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place onions in a lightly oiled, shallow 2-quart baking dish. Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until tender and just starting to brown, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in currants, vinegar and capers.
- Before serving, spread 1/2 teaspoon olive paste or chopped olives over one side of each toasted piece of baguette. Top with 2 teaspoons of the onion confit.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the onion confit (Steps 1-2) for up to 4 days.
Per appetizer: 40 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 66 mg sodium; 20 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1991