Onion Confit Crostini
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Sweet caramelized onion and dried currants are perfectly balanced by salty capers and black-olive paste in these party-perfect crostini.
- 1 pound sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 4 teaspoons balsamic or red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained capers
- 1/3 cup black-olive paste, (olivada) or finely chopped pitted black olives
- 36 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place onions in a lightly oiled, shallow 2-quart baking dish. Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until tender and just starting to brown, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in currants, vinegar and capers.
- Before serving, spread 1/2 teaspoon olive paste or chopped olives over one side of each toasted piece of baguette. Top with 2 teaspoons of the onion confit.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the onion confit (Steps 1-2) for up to 4 days.
Per appetizer: 40 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 66 mg sodium; 20 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1991
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)