One-Dish Chicken & Rice (Asopao de Pollo)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This Puerto Rican one-dish chicken and rice stew is rich in flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 Anaheim or poblano chile peppers, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 4-ounce jar pimientos, rinsed
- 8 pimiento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2/3 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, chiles, onion, oregano, paprika and salt and cook, stirring, until the onions have softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato, pimientos, olives, capers and water and bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the sauce is thick, the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Anaheim chiles (a.k.a. New Mexico chiles) are 7 to 10 inches long, ripen from green to red and are mildly spicy. Poblano peppers (sometimes called pasilla peppers) are dark green in color, about 6 inches long and can be fiery or relatively mild; there's no way to tell until you taste them. The two can be used interchangeably and are found at most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 451 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 5 g fiber; 635 mg sodium; 518 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Magnesium (30% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007