One-Dish Chicken & Rice (Asopao de Pollo)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This Puerto Rican one-dish chicken and rice stew is rich in flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 Anaheim or poblano chile peppers, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 4-ounce jar pimientos, rinsed
- 8 pimiento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2/3 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, chiles, onion, oregano, paprika and salt and cook, stirring, until the onions have softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato, pimientos, olives, capers and water and bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the sauce is thick, the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Anaheim chiles (a.k.a. New Mexico chiles) are 7 to 10 inches long, ripen from green to red and are mildly spicy. Poblano peppers (sometimes called pasilla peppers) are dark green in color, about 6 inches long and can be fiery or relatively mild; there's no way to tell until you taste them. The two can be used interchangeably and are found at most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 451 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 5 g fiber; 635 mg sodium; 518 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Magnesium (30% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2007