One-Dish Chicken & Rice (Asopao de Pollo)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This Puerto Rican one-dish chicken and rice stew is rich in flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 Anaheim or poblano chile peppers, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 4-ounce jar pimientos, rinsed
- 8 pimiento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2/3 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, chiles, onion, oregano, paprika and salt and cook, stirring, until the onions have softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato, pimientos, olives, capers and water and bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the sauce is thick, the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Anaheim chiles (a.k.a. New Mexico chiles) are 7 to 10 inches long, ripen from green to red and are mildly spicy. Poblano peppers (sometimes called pasilla peppers) are dark green in color, about 6 inches long and can be fiery or relatively mild; there's no way to tell until you taste them. The two can be used interchangeably and are found at most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 451 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 5 g fiber; 635 mg sodium; 518 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Magnesium (30% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007