One-Dish Chicken & Rice (Asopao de Pollo)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This Puerto Rican one-dish chicken and rice stew is rich in flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 Anaheim or poblano chile peppers, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 4-ounce jar pimientos, rinsed
- 8 pimiento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2/3 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, chiles, onion, oregano, paprika and salt and cook, stirring, until the onions have softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato, pimientos, olives, capers and water and bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the sauce is thick, the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Anaheim chiles (a.k.a. New Mexico chiles) are 7 to 10 inches long, ripen from green to red and are mildly spicy. Poblano peppers (sometimes called pasilla peppers) are dark green in color, about 6 inches long and can be fiery or relatively mild; there's no way to tell until you taste them. The two can be used interchangeably and are found at most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 451 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 5 g fiber; 635 mg sodium; 518 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Magnesium (30% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)