Olive Oil & Herb Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with an herb-infused olive oil. These green˜specked mashed potatoes taste great with pan-seared pork chops or chicken.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black or white pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, crush the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt with garlic, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a mortar and pestle until a paste forms. (Or very finely chop garlic and herbs, then combine with salt and pepper in a bowl.) Stir in oil.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir the herb mixture, buttermilk and pepper to taste into the mashed potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 298 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2013