Olive Oil & Herb Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with an herb-infused olive oil. These green˜specked mashed potatoes taste great with pan-seared pork chops or chicken.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black or white pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, crush the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt with garlic, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a mortar and pestle until a paste forms. (Or very finely chop garlic and herbs, then combine with salt and pepper in a bowl.) Stir in oil.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir the herb mixture, buttermilk and pepper to taste into the mashed potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 298 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013