Olive Oil & Herb Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with an herb-infused olive oil. These green˜specked mashed potatoes taste great with pan-seared pork chops or chicken.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black or white pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, crush the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt with garlic, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a mortar and pestle until a paste forms. (Or very finely chop garlic and herbs, then combine with salt and pepper in a bowl.) Stir in oil.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir the herb mixture, buttermilk and pepper to taste into the mashed potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 298 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- November/December 2013