Ginger, which can be traced as far back as the first century A.D., is an ancient culinary staple. Honor its tradition by baking this moist, spicy cake, served plain or with a spoonful of Lemon Curd.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Place egg, sugar and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and creamy. Reduce speed to low and beat in molasses and applesauce.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients and buttermilk into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 additions of buttermilk. (Do not overmix.)
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool slightly in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm.
Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrates, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique