Ginger, which can be traced as far back as the first century A.D., is an ancient culinary staple. Honor its tradition by baking this moist, spicy cake, served plain or with a spoonful of Lemon Curd.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Place egg, sugar and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and creamy. Reduce speed to low and beat in molasses and applesauce.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients and buttermilk into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 additions of buttermilk. (Do not overmix.)
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool slightly in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm.
Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrates, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique