Ginger, which can be traced as far back as the first century A.D., is an ancient culinary staple. Honor its tradition by baking this moist, spicy cake, served plain or with a spoonful of Lemon Curd.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Place egg, sugar and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and creamy. Reduce speed to low and beat in molasses and applesauce.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients and buttermilk into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 additions of buttermilk. (Do not overmix.)
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool slightly in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm.
Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrates, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique