Ginger, which can be traced as far back as the first century A.D., is an ancient culinary staple. Honor its tradition by baking this moist, spicy cake, served plain or with a spoonful of Lemon Curd.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Place egg, sugar and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and creamy. Reduce speed to low and beat in molasses and applesauce.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients and buttermilk into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 additions of buttermilk. (Do not overmix.)
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool slightly in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm.
Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrates, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation