Old-Fashioned Fruit Crumble
Use whatever fresh or frozen fruit you have on hand to make this old-fashioned crumble. Typical crumble topping has as much as a half cup of butter—ours has just a bit of canola oil and, for richness, chopped almonds, which are full of healthy monounsaturated fats.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen fruit, such as blueberries, peaches, plums
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat or all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, or pecans
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine fruit with granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and orange juice. Divide among four 6-ounce ovenproof ramekins. Combine oats, nuts, brown sugar, the remaining 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Drizzle with oil and stir to combine. Sprinkle over the fruit mixture. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 252 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 179 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation