From EatingWell: October/November 2006
There is no form of corn that a Southerner can't use. This recipe is designed for corn that was picked a few days ago or has otherwise lost some of its sweetness. In the country it's called fried corn, but the corn's really boiled in milk or cream to soften and sweeten it.
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears) or 3 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup nonfat milk, plus more if needed
- Cook bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until crispy, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Drain the bacon on a paper towel; discard fat. Heat oil in the same pan over high heat. Add corn and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the corn begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add milk and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until most of the milk has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add more milk to prevent sticking, a tablespoon at a time, if the liquid boils away before the corn is tender. Remove from the heat. Crumble the bacon into the corn; stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 141 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- October/November 2006