From EatingWell: October/November 2006
There is no form of corn that a Southerner can't use. This recipe is designed for corn that was picked a few days ago or has otherwise lost some of its sweetness. In the country it's called fried corn, but the corn's really boiled in milk or cream to soften and sweeten it.
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears) or 3 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup nonfat milk, plus more if needed
- Cook bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until crispy, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Drain the bacon on a paper towel; discard fat. Heat oil in the same pan over high heat. Add corn and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the corn begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add milk and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until most of the milk has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add more milk to prevent sticking, a tablespoon at a time, if the liquid boils away before the corn is tender. Remove from the heat. Crumble the bacon into the corn; stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 141 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October/November 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)