From EatingWell: October/November 2006
There is no form of corn that a Southerner can't use. This recipe is designed for corn that was picked a few days ago or has otherwise lost some of its sweetness. In the country it's called fried corn, but the corn's really boiled in milk or cream to soften and sweeten it.
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears) or 3 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup nonfat milk, plus more if needed
- Cook bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until crispy, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Drain the bacon on a paper towel; discard fat. Heat oil in the same pan over high heat. Add corn and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the corn begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add milk and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until most of the milk has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add more milk to prevent sticking, a tablespoon at a time, if the liquid boils away before the corn is tender. Remove from the heat. Crumble the bacon into the corn; stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 141 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- October/November 2006