Okra & Red Pepper Cornbread
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Colorful red bell pepper and thinly sliced okra add an exciting element in this cast-iron skillet cornbread recipe. Serve the cornbread in wedges alongside chili, baked beans or barbecued chicken or pork.
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 cups fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very thinly sliced okra
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups buttermilk (see Tip)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Add oil to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet (or 2-quart metal baking dish) and place in the preheating oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk cornmeal, baking soda and salt in a large, heatproof bowl. Add okra, onion and bell pepper and toss to coat. Whisk buttermilk and egg in another bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Carefully remove the heated skillet (or pan) from the oven and pour the hot oil into the batter. Stir to combine, then pour the batter back into the hot pan. Bake until starting to brown around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into 12 slices and serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cool, cover and store at room temperature for up to 1 day or wrap airtight and freeze for up to 1 month.
- Buttermilk is a thick, tangy cow’s-milk dairy product great for baking, salad dressings and marinades. Low-fat and nonfat versions can be used interchangeably in most recipes. Look for it in quart containers in the dairy section of the supermarket. In a pinch, you can make a substitute, mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar into 1 cup low-fat or nonfat milk.
Per serving: 123 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 167 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2014