This was our first time having okra and it was delish. The slime was a little unexpected but it disappeared before it was time to eat.
Okra & Chickpea Tagine
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This quick and easy okra and chickpea stew is full of Moroccan flavors. The name “tagine” refers to the two-part, cone-shaped casserole dish in which countless slow-cooked Moroccan dishes are prepared. You don't need to prepare this in a tagine dish—it works well in a large saucepan—but if you have one, here's a chance to use it.
14 Reviews for Okra & Chickpea Tagine
I added more to the recipe:
In addition to the garlic cloves, I added a stalk of finely chopped garlic leaves from my garden. As for the cilantro, I omitted the string, roughly chopped the cilantro, and cooked it with the rest of the ingredients (instead of throwing it out). I also put aside some fresh (finely chopped) cilantro to garnish later and I freely added paprika while it was cooking.
To eat: I drizzled sirarcha sauce on top; garnished it with fresh cilantro; and had a side of steamed jasmine rice.
It was very tasty - my sister and I enjoyed it! I'll be making this again!
I was surprised at how well it came out. I never had okra before, but I really liked it. Unfortunately for me, not all of the slime disappeared, but it still wasn't bad. I put it on brown rice, and it was delicious!
I was really nervous at first to make this, having never eaten or made anything with okra. After the sliminess of the okra disappeared i was very relieved, and the dish turned out great! Served it with Moroccan spiced cod and cous-cous.
I omitted the bell peppers - and I used turmeric and garam masala as spices. Pretty good - an Indian touch to this Moroccan dish......
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)