Oil-Poached-Garlic Puree & Roasted-Garlic Oil
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
When you have these on hand, you can work miracles with any entree.
- 4 cups water
- 4 heads garlic, cloves separated
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat, add garlic, stir to submerge and let sit until the garlic skins are softened and cool enough to handle, about 50 minutes. Strain the garlic, remove the skins and cut off the hard nub where the clove was attached to the head.
- Place the garlic, canola oil and extra-virgin olive oil in a medium saucepan; bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Reduce the heat to low and maintain a very gentle simmer (it may be necessary to slide the pan to the edge of the burner). Simmer until the cloves are golden and very soft when pressed with a fork, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the cooled garlic to a sieve to drain, reserving the oil. Transfer the garlic to a food processor and puree until smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally. Store the puree and the oil separately in the refrigerator.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate puree for up to 1 week; cover and refrigerate oil for no more than 1 week.
Per tablespoon (puree): 94 calories; 12 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per tablespoon (oil): 105 calories; 12 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrate; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium.
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006