Oatmeal & Whole-Wheat Bread
This high-fiber quick bread takes only one hour to make.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix together oats, flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together eggs and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir baking soda into buttermilk in a small bowl.
- Add buttermilk mixture to the egg mixture. Pour wet ingredients into the oatmeal mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until evenly blended.
- Turn into the prepared pan. Bake until top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
Per slice: 245 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 289 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (27% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique