Oatmeal & Whole-Wheat Bread
This high-fiber quick bread takes only one hour to make.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix together oats, flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together eggs and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir baking soda into buttermilk in a small bowl.
- Add buttermilk mixture to the egg mixture. Pour wet ingredients into the oatmeal mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until evenly blended.
- Turn into the prepared pan. Bake until top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
Per slice: 245 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 289 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (27% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)