From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Perk up your morning oatmeal with the addition of tangy rhubarb. Using milk for this oatmeal gives it a calcium boost, but the recipe also works well with water—and you’ll save about 60 calories.
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk or nondairy milk, such as soymilk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup 1/2-inch pieces rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar, pure maple syrup or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or other nuts, toasted (see Tip) if desired
- Combine milk, juice, oats, rhubarb, cinnamon and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook at a very gentle bubble, stirring frequently, until the oats and rhubarb are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in sweetener to taste. Top with nuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 336 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 772 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Magnesium (38% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 nonfat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2011