From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Perk up your morning oatmeal with the addition of tangy rhubarb. Using milk for this oatmeal gives it a calcium boost, but the recipe also works well with water—and you’ll save about 60 calories.
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk or nondairy milk, such as soymilk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup 1/2-inch pieces rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar, pure maple syrup or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or other nuts, toasted (see Tip) if desired
- Combine milk, juice, oats, rhubarb, cinnamon and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook at a very gentle bubble, stirring frequently, until the oats and rhubarb are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in sweetener to taste. Top with nuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 336 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 772 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Magnesium (38% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 nonfat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2011