From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Perk up your morning oatmeal with the addition of tangy rhubarb. Using milk for this oatmeal gives it a calcium boost, but the recipe also works well with water—and you’ll save about 60 calories.
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk or nondairy milk, such as soymilk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup 1/2-inch pieces rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar, pure maple syrup or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or other nuts, toasted (see Tip) if desired
- Combine milk, juice, oats, rhubarb, cinnamon and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook at a very gentle bubble, stirring frequently, until the oats and rhubarb are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in sweetener to taste. Top with nuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 336 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 772 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Magnesium (38% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 nonfat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2011