Oatmeal Lace Cookies with Dried Tart Cherries
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
These crisp wafer cookies are simply irresistible.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped dried tart cherries
- Set oven rack in the center; preheat to 400°F. Lightly oil 3 baking sheets or coat with nonstick cooking spray, and dust them with flour, shaking off excess.
- Combine oats, corn syrup and oil in a medium bowl. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat and cook until it begins to turn a light, nutty brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. (Be careful not to burn the butter.) Pour into the oat mixture and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Beat egg and sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes. Blend in vanilla.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; fold into the egg mixture. Add the oat mixture and dried cherries; stir gently to combine.
- Spoon the batter by teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, for about 4 minutes, or until the cookies are golden and lacy. Let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then carefully remove cookies from the baking sheet and cool on a flat surface (not a rack).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container with parchment or wax paper between the layers.
Per serving: 49 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 37 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994