Oatmeal Lace Cookies with Dried Tart Cherries
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
These crisp wafer cookies are simply irresistible.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped dried tart cherries
- Set oven rack in the center; preheat to 400°F. Lightly oil 3 baking sheets or coat with nonstick cooking spray, and dust them with flour, shaking off excess.
- Combine oats, corn syrup and oil in a medium bowl. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat and cook until it begins to turn a light, nutty brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. (Be careful not to burn the butter.) Pour into the oat mixture and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Beat egg and sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes. Blend in vanilla.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; fold into the egg mixture. Add the oat mixture and dried cherries; stir gently to combine.
- Spoon the batter by teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, for about 4 minutes, or until the cookies are golden and lacy. Let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then carefully remove cookies from the baking sheet and cool on a flat surface (not a rack).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container with parchment or wax paper between the layers.
Per serving: 49 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 37 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)